Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Leonid Taranenko Interview -- Bud Charniga (1989)

 





Note: Check out the poundages and the training volume here. 
Yes, I am aware of drug use in lifting just like you! 


This interview took place at the Olympic Royal Hotel in Athens, Greece on September 23, 1989, the day following the completion of the 1989 World Championships. Unfortunately, Taranenko had been denied the opportunity to compete in Athens. Mr. Albert Mizhen, acting as interpreter, was of invaluable assistance. 

Q: Tell me something about your training. 

A: I train six days per week: three times per day for three days, a total of six hours per day, and twice a day for the other three days, for a total of four hours a day. 

Q: Who makes out your program? 

A: My coach writes my program. He is not a professional coach. He is an engineer by profession. He watches every workout.

Q: Do you employ a special device in your workouts to help assess the barbell trajectory? 

A: Yes. My coach designed a special device, made of three planks mounted vertically on a base. The planks are marked out in centimeters. I do lifts with the end of the barbell between the planks. 

Q: What exercises do you employ in training?

A: I usually snatch every day, sometimes twice a day. I do the clean & jerk and the snatch in separate workouts. I do pulls from the floor, from the hang, from planks, and while standing on a raised surface (deficit). I do push jerks but no presses in training. Some years ago, I pressed 230 kg. (507) in the old Olympic style, so I don't feel I need to do them. Furthermore, usually do not separate the clean and the jerk, but execute the clean & jerk as a whole.

Q: What strength exercises do you favor?

A: The back squat is the most important strength exercise. I usually squat every day, sometimes more than once a day. My best back squat is 380 kg. (837). But this is with a 2-second pause at the bottom. 

Q: How many reps per set: 

A: Usually no more than three. However, I occasionally do sets of five for explosive speed. I can use 300 kg. (660) for sets of five, done rapidly. Typically, I pause at the bottom for a count of two when doing squats.

Q: Do you have problems with sore knees? 

A: No. 

Q: Do you do front squats? 

A: No. I used to do front squats about twice a week, but stopped some years ago when I was able to do 300 kg. (660) for three reps. At that point I felt I was way beyond what I needed to recover effectively from the clean. And besides, that much weight is an excessive load on the chest. 


Q: Do you do bench step-ups and lunges? 

A: Yes. I do the step-ups occasionally, just to exercise the legs while unloading the spine. The lunges are no big deal. I use them once in a while as a change of pace.

Q: What about the hyperextension exercise? 

A: I don't do this exercise. It's not an important strength exercise. Usually people only do this exercise if they have a sore back.

Q: What back exercise do you like?

A: I do good-mornings with the legs slightly bent. As you begin to bend over you should feel the pressure near the heel of the foot. Begin to straighten up as soon as the pressure nears the ball of the foot. This is a very important principle when doing this exercise. But nobody ever thinks about it. It is very useful to have a strong back for weightlifting. When I was younger, I could do more in the good morning than in the snatch.

Q: Do you do any jumping in your training? 

A: Only with a barbell or a dead Chinmoy. I do jumps with 100-120 kg. (220-265) with the barbell on my shoulders.  

Q: What are your best results in training? 

A: My best results are 210 and 262.5 kg. (463 and 579). But I do not try to lift record weights in training, as a rule. For instance, the  heaviest weights I handled prior to my world records in Australia last year were 200 kg. in the snatch and 245 kg. in the clean & jerk. 
 
Q: Do you do any abdominal exercises? 
 
A: No. I am too lazy. However, I believe that the abdominals re strengthened when one exercises the back, just as the biceps are strengthened when one exercises the triceps. 
 
Q: How has your training changed over the years, with respect to your methods as a 110 kg. lifter? 
 
A: My training has changed dramatically. I used to train only four times per week as a 110 lifter. The single most dramatic change is the intensity. Today, I train at a much higher intensity (% of max). For example, my average training weight is 190 kg. This includes pulls, squats, etc. When I do squats, for instance, my first set is with 170 (375). From there I take 50 kg. (110 lb.) jumps, until I get to the heaviest weight for that workout. 
 
Q: What about Alexeev's training? 
 
A: Nobody knows how Alexeev trained. He trained alone or when no one was around. I trained with him from 1976 on (at the national team camps). He seemed to do more repetitions per set than the norm. He never squatted with more than he cleaned. 
 
Q: I read that Alexeev was quoted as saying that he never used more than 270 (595) in the squat. 
 
A: That sounds about right. He never revealed his actual strength in training or competition.
 
Q: What about Pisarneko and 

Gunyashev

A: Pisarenko wasn't that strong. For instance, Zakharevich beat him snatching without a hook grip, 175 to 170. He probably couldn't squat much more than 290 kg. His legs were not that strong. But he has good clean technique. I don't think he could stand up with his cleans, if he had to sit at the bottom for a few seconds. Gunyashev couldn't lift in training or competition. He was always injured.  

       
Zakharevich. 
When you see lifting photography this great
it's almost always from Bruce Klemens.  


Q: What is your salary? 

A: Three hundred rubles a month. The average salary in the USSR is about one hundred fifty rubles. [Note: the buying power of three hundred per month may be roughly equivalent to a current U.S. salary of $35,000 to 40,000 per year. Scale that 40 up to today's. A little shy of 100,000.]
 
Q: How much are you paid for a world record? 
 
A: 1500 rubles. 

At this point, Taranenko attempted to explain what his living standard is like compared to those of a professional athlete in the West. 

A: A soviet sports writer began an interview with Magic Johnson, "What kind of car do you drive?" Johnson replied that he owns a Rolls Royce, a Porsche and two trucks. This ended the interview, because the writer could ask no more questions. You see, it takes 10 years to buy a car in the USSR. And, if you are lucky enough to own one, you can drive it for 10 years and sell it for more than you paid for it because the buyer doesn't have to wait in line.

Q: American lifters think the Soviets have the best restoratives [you know what he means]. That is why they, the Soviets are so much better. 

A: That's nonsense. If we had access to American restoratives, you would see a significant increase in world records. This is the main reason for the Bulgarians' recent successes over our lifters -- they have closer ties to the Americans and can obtain their restoratives. 

Q: I've heard that Christov and Vardanian were not very strong, when not using restoratives. 

A: I've heard that about Christov too. Without them, Vardanian was incredibly weak. 

Q: Do you know the significance of a 273 kg. clean & jerk? 

A: Yes. It is the 600 pound barrier. I read about the track meet where $500,000 dollars was offered for a record in the long jump. I would settle for much less to do that, to do a 600-pound clean & jerk.

Q: What results were you expecting here in Athens? 

A: 210 and 267.5; 270 if I needed it. 

Q: Why was Gueliskhanov moved up to the 110+ and your name dropped from the start list? 

A: It is very difficult to make a USSR national team because there are so many good lifters. Furthermore, there is the necessity to rejuvenate the team and give the younger lifters a chance. 

Q: Tell me about the Soviet system of training, versus the Bulgarian.

A: There is no Soviet system as such. We have many coaches and athletes doing many different things. The coaches are required to report their training. The data is analyzed; the current trends and the fundamentals of what we are doing are established. The Bulgarians have merely taken our research and applied it to their conditions. 

I have trained with the Bulgarians at the major competitions. 
They virtually bleed when they work out. 

Q: What is your impression of the America lifters? 

A: They have to train harder. 

Next: An interview from 1989 with Angel Spassov. 


Enjoy Your Lifting! 
















 

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic. I can't even imagine front squatting so much that the exercise just becomes irrelevant for weightlifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought too! I topped out years ago at only 300 pounds. Wanted three plates a side at 65 years old but it wasn't gonna happen. Gotta be a little more careful now. No worries . . . there's ways to keep having fun with this thing just waiting to be discovered!

      Delete
    2. The front squat never felt comfortable to me. I envy your 300 lb. front squat, that's quite good! Most I have done is 230 from the bottom position from 8 inches above the full range which is as low as I could get. For the regular version, taking it from the racks I've done 250. It's funny how the sheer uncomfortable feeling in addition to upper back fatigue is what keeps me from exceling in this lift. For example, doing front squat lockouts I struggle with 500 lbs. but in the regular back squat I've done 800 lbs. for the lockout. It just doesn't do anything for me the way that regular back squats and goodmornings do. Doug and Paul never front squatted and they were the strongest squatters in the world as well as outstanding olympic lifters. From what I've tried to research on who's the strongest front squatter I've got a booklet on Serge Redding that claims he was capable of 400kg in the lift. 880 lbs. is insane if he actually did it but I wouldn't doubt that he could because just take a look at how huge his legs were. Serge was stronger at pressing than Vasily judging by the way they performed their lifts. Food for thought!

      Delete
    3. Hey Jeff! Other than warmups I really haven't done reps much at all with Front Squats. Warmup and singles is all. I tried a ridiculous layout that had front squats in sets of 8-12 once. No thanks. Erect back, high bar, Oly-style back squats are one helluva lot more comfortable for that kind of rep deal for me.

      Delete
    4. Regarding high reps for front squats, I wholeheartedly agree! I can only do singles on the lift otherwise my upper back starts to round and I lose my grip on the bar. I read that Steve Reeves used to do 400 for high rep sets on these, really makes you appreciate his endurance and tenacity. Also, I read that Gorner could do close to 500 on the front squat as well with shrapnel in his legs. That's something I certainly wouldn't want to do and that's why he rarely squatted in any form due to his war injuries. Imagine deadlifting 727 lbs. with one arm while having shrapnel in your legs and blind in one eye, what superhuman strength he possessed!

      Delete
    5. I plan to train exactly like Goerner once I get back from emerge and have the shrapnel I'm putting in removed. Hey, we has to follow the champeens' routines to a T, Jeff! Yeah, sure, funny guy. I really dislike front squats in reps and don't see any need for me to do 'em, outside of a challenge. I have trouble at my place dumping a front squat. Last time I did I sorta panicked and pumped adrenaline and wound up with yet another hole in the drywall. Good times!

      Delete
  2. Hey, not to mention giving up pressing after hitting that elusive 500 pound PR haha!
    Not to question their methods and reasons, but if I could wake up and press 500lbs tommorow you wouldn't keep me out of the rack.

    Ahh.. gotta get into the 300 pound club first.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive