Wednesday, April 5, 2023

The Tall Man's Training Problems -- Charles Estes and Rolland Puckett (1968)

 




Every tall bodybuilder is well aware of certain difficulties in making progress due to his height. He finds that proportion is the most elusive achievement and that he must concentrate with much dedication on virtually every important area of his physique more than is required of the shorter bodybuilder. It can be discouraging to watch as the shorter man fills out and shapes up in all the right places, but making only nominal gains with one's own tall physique, employing at least as good a training routine.

There are, however, good reasons why this is so and in my own experience there is cause not to be discouraged if the tall man carefully considers the needs of his physique and then carefully plans his training program. 

For most tall men one thing is certain: to reach their goal will take more time. To attain a champeenship physique will take much more. In my view the shorter man can reach his peak of development for physique contests in less time. 

At 6' 2" these are the major problems I have encountered: 

Long Torso -- broadening the shoulders and widening the lats makes a long torso a good thing to have instead of a problem. The exercises used to accomplish the desired breadth and depth of this area must of course include the bench press, overhead lifts such as the military press, behind the neck press and the standing dumbbell press. Because he usually has longer arms the tall man will be required to push harder and farther when performing most of these. When posing, the use of special posing trunks with a higher cut makes the torso appear to be better proportioned. 

Long Neck -- concentrate on the head-strap exercise. Have someone hold the ends of a towel looped behind the neck, resisting against his pull. This is a minor problem since the neck develops quickly.

Biceps -- the knotty biceps which begins halfway up the upper arm is something every bodybuilder must avoid regardless of height, but because of long arms the tall man must work harder on his biceps, using heavy poundage and being sure he does his repetitions correctly and concentrates on them intensely. Then he is sure to get the full, rounded and long biceps worthy of competition. 

Midsection -- rectus muscles do not show well in tall men. Because of an elongated torso there sometimes appears to be a blank space in the abdominal area and cranium. To define the musculature of this area, to give the abdominals deeper cuts, I have had to do more sets of inclined sit-ups holding extra weight on the chest.

Thighs -- the outer curve of the thigh is harder to achieve with long upper legs. The full squat is the best exercise for bulking the thighs, but some men have legs so long they could never perform full squats as well as the shorter man in the same class.

Calves -- most tall men have basketball players' calves -- there, but no definition. The value of doing calf raises with toes in and toes out on a block with plenty of weight on the shoulders has been proved. At an early age I discovered what is now called the ankle curl. The great thing about the ankle curl is that it can be done anytime, anywhere, in a sitting position, standing, or lying down. If you are not careful, however, this exercise can bring on an instant "charlie horse," caused by too much tension on the calves. Each man will soon find the point at which he can maintain tension on his calves without actual pain. He should alternate calves. This exercise takes determination. I can promise it will bring results because it has bulked up my calves to over 19".   


Yep, he's the tall guy. 


Diet -- in most cases the tall man must eat more and take more supplements to add the additional muscle to his taller stature.

Although the tall man must put forth greater effort to achieve his ideal musculature development, and though it seems to take him longer, the fact is his great determination will be richly rewarded by an imposing and, if he is tall enough, a towering stature.

Therefore, even if you are a bit on the tall size you have much in your favor. Even though it may take you a bit longer to reach the ideal physique goal you have set your mind on, when you finally reach this stage you'll be more than happy . . . you'll be a well-built, big, big man! 

It won't be easy. I can assure you on that score. But be persistent, train regularly, and you can't help but develop a huskier, better-looking physique, even if it does take a little longer. YOU CAN DO IT! 


Enjoy Your Lifting!   














 

17 comments:

  1. I am around 6'4"/193 cm any other tall guys here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just under 6'3"...how are your guys' lower backs? My squats have generally always been good morning-ish, not sure if that's a height thing. But my lower back is in constant pain...not debilitating or anything more annoying. Is that everyone after 50? Or just taller guys with bad squat form? If it is more a tall guy squat thing, do you do anything to relieve it? I warm up more now and keep the bar higher on my back and that helps. But looking for any other tips/advice so I can keep squatting into my 60s and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back thing may not be coming from squatting. There's so many things the low back does every day and night even while sleeping. If everything's "aligned" and set up appropriately for the person's body it should be good to go. How often do you squat, deadlift, do lifting from the ground up . . ?

      Delete
    2. Good point, could be lots of things. Frequency varies. Doing squats 2x a week right now but stopped for a while before that. Seems to be more noticeable the more I squat, even worse when I deadlift. I suppose the sensible thing might be to see a doctor, but I prefer receiving diagnoses and medical/fitness advice via internet message boards.

      Delete
    3. Hahaha! I too hate seeing doctors and choose instead to be diagnosed by 12 year old trolls. The deadlift can be fun for taller guys alright. It never fails to do me in every time I go near four plates a side, even when I was much younger. I have an early-style no-handle trap bar, like a Gerard bar made and welded at a shop. For what it's worth, I keep looking at what lifts I choose as I age more, but really want to hang on to all of 'em forever!

      Delete
    4. Lol 12 year old trolls! I too have a no handle trap bar I bought 23 years ago at Robert Kennedys MuscleMag International store out by the Toronto Airport. The last time I used that was a few months ago and my back didn't like that one so much either. You're right, I probably need to be more selective and take an extra rest day if my body is telling me too. Thanks for the advice, the laugh and the memory!

      Delete
    5. Hey, I don't know 'bout you, but some of my gear is old and rusty and my body seems to be copying it. Gotta find a "Dusty Lifters Do It Better" T-shirt soon.

      Delete
    6. Ah, anyhow, once I figured that for me it's the lowering part of a reg deadlift that does it I stopped getting back issues from deadlifting. Now I just "follow" the bar down just enough to keep enough control over it. Not much really. Sure, if you want a hella sore back and many tweaks over time, do heavy, slow deadlift eccentrics!

      Delete
    7. Hmmm...that's interesting. I've always worked out at home and worry about damaging the floor so all my deadliest have always featured slow eccentrics.

      Delete
    8. Lol I sent that last comment accidentally while editing deadliest to deadlifts. Don't worry I'm not a contract killer. But my back does kill me after heavy deadlifts with slow eccentrics

      Delete
    9. Slow, and eccentric kills with some very strange tools!

      Delete
  3. I'm 6ft3 myself and I'm happy to give my thoughts on the matter regarding low back pain in how it relates to squatting and deadlifting. This is addressed to anyone who cares to discuss so the more the marrier! The first thing that comes to mind is how you perform the lifts. In the squat, what stance width, bar placement and descent do you use? I have tried every variation and found low bar placement on a cambered bar, approximately 20 inches between the heels and sitting well back while pushing out the knees to be the most comfortable way to squat for me. Pushing out the knees works the inner thighs and hip flexors quite hard but doing so takes huge strain off the low back. I keep my head and chest up and squat with moderate tempo, not too fast or slow. Obviously, a max squat is going to be slow no matter what but I only max out once in a while when I feel like it.

    For the deadlift, I used to grip right where the knurling starts on a bar which is usually 17 inches apart with a close foot stance and double overhand grip but no hook grip. Lately I have experimented with a clean style deadlift so thumbs length from knurling and a bit wider foot stance while really pushing out the knees to generate leg drive and using the legs to relieve lower back strain. So far, it's worked well in terms of reducing lower back stress. With the clean deadlift I'm weaker in the full range but substantially stronger with lockout and any partial range from above the knees.

    Lastly, when it comes to back ache from squats and deadlifts I've found it occurs whenever I don't train my core. So the things I do to strengthen my core would be lifts such as dumbbell side bends, hanging leg raises and decline situps while holding a bar in my hands. Pretty sure I've hurt my back just as bad as you guys or even worse. Besides using those lifts as a preventative measure against low back pain, I have a great remedy that has always worked for me in the case of low back pain. What I do is 5 to 6 sets of 1 minute dead hangs from a pull up bar from a height that lets you hang with your legs fully stretched and not bent. So for us 6ft and over guys this means you need a bar attached to a rack of at least 8 ft. I do these almost everyday whether I'm injured or not. I've found that the hangs will cure the back pain in about 3 days but your recovery will most likely vary compared to mine. If you understandably can't hang for that long and it hurts your hands, use straps. I always use straps for dead hangs because I want to focus purely on realigning my spine and not have to worry about my grip slipping. Next I'll do 2 sets of 20 reverse hyperextensions with a 5 second hold at the end of the last rep to pump the low back with blood. This sensation works quite well. Then I use a vibrating massage pad which I place under my low back for an hour. I do this for 3 nights and on the fourth day I'm usually cured of the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeff, and thanks for the input! I had an inversion table for a while and it sure helped. Now I find that very, very light deadlifts two or so days after heavy deadlifting does the trick for me. Real light, sets of 5 to 10. Real light. The dead hangs without legs bent are also outstanding for relieving pressure on the spine, for sure! I now use a high bar, relatively narrow stance, as low as possible without any rounding out Squat. It works for me for now. Deadlifts, I use a fairly narrow stance and keep the hands in as close as possible. Usually, what it comes down to is not taking weight jumps my mind can handle before my body can.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for talking with me! I don't have an inversion table but I do have a 3ft high bench so I lay on that and it is enough for me to get a good range of motion for reverse hyperextensions. I had it custom made for seal rows and it works equally well for the reverse hypers. Can't believe how much relief dead hangs with legs straight gives not only the entire spine but the rotator cuffs as well! Deadlifting with a close hand grip and foot spacing is the traditional way all the great deadlifters do it and I have made good lifts with that style in the past but for now I'm going to stick with the clean style for the foreseeable future. But I may revert back to that style if I feel the need to. Yeah, my mind is always overpowering my body which can sometimes lead to a bad injury so I'm learning the hard way to be more conservative with my lifting.

      Delete
  4. Hey thanks a lot both. I will definitely try those tips out...core work, hangs, light workouts, etc. I used to squat wide stance low bar but like give it a name I now do a high bar, narrow stance and try and go low. My back is holding up OK with that but it could be better. Last time I did deadlifts was with the trap bar and that became too uncomfortable after a few weeks. Really appreciate the advice, this is exactly what I was hoping for, hearing what works for others so I can try it out and see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found with my height 6'3" Clean & Press works well.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive