Sunday, April 2, 2023

Bear and Super Bear -- Jamie Lewis

 



This sort of stuff can kick your heart up real nice 
and give you a hella-bitta hard work.


The Bear: It's a clean & press complex. I'd start with 95 pounds and work my way up, were I you guys. It's a clean from the floor into a front squat, to an overhead press, to a back squat, to another overhead press, to a front squat, and then cleaning the bar back down to the floor. That's one rep. I like doing these for 5 x 5.

The Super Bear: A buddy of mine and I decided that the Bear didn't suck enough, so we added two more squats - overhead squats, at the top of both overhead presses. Thus, it's a clean to front squat, overhead press to overhead squat, then drop the bar on your back and back squat it, overhead press to overhead squat, then drop the bar on your collarbones and front squat, then back to the floor. Fun, right? I think we might have had a best of 5 x 5 with that using 115, and I was sore for a week. 

8 comments:

  1. Haven't heard from Jamie Lewis in years. What an absolute character. He cited this blog in a lot of his work, so it's cool to see what goes around come around again.

    Several of his books are actually great resources, something that may be missed by people put off by his extreme persona, love of -core music and its aesthetic, and the X-rated nature of much of his content. The bottom line, though, is that he's still a great lifter, a great researcher, and a capable writer. Which leads me to my point here: when are YOUR books coming out? I'd love to help out the blog by purchasing a copy or helping said project come about in any way possible.

    Specifically, you are basically the only other person of whom I am aware who could write a book like Lewis' "365 Days of Brutality."

    At the same time, I'm never going to discourage or criticize anyone for doing what you do simply for the love of the game. Thanks for keeping bygone eras alive and for providing us with a font of inspiration for our own training. Enjoy your lifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have Instagram, Jamie Lewis has been posting most of his content there. Not only does he cover lifting and combat related information, but sometimes he provides lessons on history in general. In recent years he seems to have dropped some of the X-rated stuff (though there is still plenty of cursing in his writing and the verbal lessons/rants on Instagram), and also seems to be a lot happier. However, he is still the same character we all know and love, it's just that he now uses his aggressive nature to promote positivity, kindness, support for one another and all that jazz, in addition to his philosophy of perpetual self improvement.

      Delete
  2. I like Jamie's stuff a lot, and it makes me real glad to see stuff from here being used. Hey, I like the lifting and couldn't care less what's painted on top or any of it. The lifting's the thing, all else gets the back seat with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why we keep coming back, day after day, for years. Never change (within reason!).

      Delete
  3. Is this the one? https://www.instagram.com/plagueofstrength/?hl=en

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there's a goldmine here with one short post . . . https://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2021/10/chaos-pain-training-template-jamie.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, that's the Instagram account. I agree, I'm mostly there for the lifting-related stuff too, but I think I was probably drawn in by his antics and writing style as well. My two favourite lifting related blogs of all time have got to be yours and his, you guys do amazing work, thank you for everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That short post you linked to is indeed a goldmine, I only skimmed through parts of it as I plan to sleep soon, and yet I still found many gems and golden nuggets of advice/food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive