Sunday, April 16, 2023

Training the Legs -- Clarence Bass

 




Almost everybody agrees that the key to muscle growth is intensity. Agreement breaks down, however, when we come to the specifics of how the desired degree of intensity is achieved. 

How hard? 
How many sets? 
How often? 

On one side we have those that advocate, and have benefitted from, 
up to 20 or more sets per bodypart, 2-3 times a week. 

On the other side are those that advocate, and have benefitted from,
as few as one very hard set per body part two or three times a week. 

Note: We can list bodybuilders from both camps who have made great gains using either approach and everything in between at various times. 

Confusing, isn't it? I have tried both systems and I will admit that I remain somewhat confused. It seems that with the proper genetic background and enough determination a super physique can be developed with either system. 

Maybe the best approach is to try both ways and see what currently works best for you.

Recently, I have been making good gains with a program of 1-4 very hard sets per bodypart twice every 8 days. I train traps, deltoids, biceps, triceps, and lower abs one day; calves, thighs, low back, and obliques the second day; back chest, and upper abs the third day. I rest on the fourth day. 

I would like to describe my current leg routine in this article. 

As I have already said, I am training my lower body every fourth day. My workout consists of approximately 8 sets and is completed in less than 30 minutes. I try to make every set count. I do all repetitions at a relatively slow speed, attempting to control and feel the weight on the way up and on the way down. I maintain continuous tension throughout every set and I carry every set to positive failure and in some cases, beyond positive failure.
 
I train my calves first, because I find it difficult to work them effectively when my thighs are tired. I also find it very tiring to work the calves hard, which is another reason I do them first when I am very fresh. I know it is conventional wisdom to work calves more frequently than other body parts, but I have not found it to be necessary. 
 
First, I warm up my calves by doing calf raises without weight with my toes on the edge of a bench. Where only a few heavy sets are going to be performed a warmup is particularly important, but it should not be overdone. I do about 15-20 slow warmup reps. 
 
I then do one set of standing calf raises with all of the weight I can handle for up to 15 repetitions. I go all out on this set and every set in the routine. The set is completed when my calves are quivering and I cannot do another good repetition. 
 
It takes a lot of concentration to do a good, slow, controlled set of calf raises to failure. I have added extra padding for the shoulders on my standing calf raise machine. I think this is important because if the weight on the shoulders hurts, it is more difficult to concentrate on doing the set properly. 
 
I then do one set on the seated calf raise machine, again up to 15 slow, controlled repetitions to failure. Again, I have good thick padding over the knees where the weight is applied so that I am not distracted by stinging discomfort in the singing-knee aria, er area. Occasionally I go back and do another set of standing calf raises, but I almost always find that the calves are exhausted after the two sets and I doubt that the third set is necessary or productive.
 
Before going on to thighs, I warm up with 15-20 free squats and a few light leg presses to prepare for the heavy leg presses which follow leg extensions. I do one set of leg extensions on the Nautilus leg extension machine. I use a weight that will allow 8-12 complete extensions. After I can no longer straighten the legs fully, I continue on with several partial repetitions until I can barely move the weight at all. I rest long enough to get my breath and go immediately to leg presses. 
 
I start with the top weight I can handle for up to 15 good, controlled repetitions. I do not lock out at the top in order to maintain continuous tension. When I can no longer do full repetitions, I continue with several short reps, lowering the weight only part way. 
 
I now go back to the Nautilus hip and back machine for about 10 repetitions with all the weight I can handle in smooth, controlled form. This works the low back and hips and affects the leg biceps, to prepare them for the leg curls that follow. 
 
Leg curls are done on the Nautilus leg curl machine. I do these in one of three ways. I go to positive failure, or use the extended set method, or do negatives after reaching positive failure. On the extended set, I start with a weight I can do in good form for about 6 repetitions, then without stopping I have the weight lowered and continue for as many reps as possible. This method has the same effect as forced repetitions. The other method that I use is to do about 8 regular repetitions and then have the weight increases slightly and have somebody raise the weight for several negative reps, continuing until I can no longer control the weight on the downward motion. One set of leg curls, using one of these three methods, seems to works the leg biceps sufficiently. 
 
That ends my leg routine.
 
On this day, I finish up with one set of heavy dumbbell sidebends. I currently use a 105-lb. dumbbell and do approximately 15 slow, controlled repetitions. I keep the legs straight and bend over until the dumbbell is touching the side of my shoe and then I come back up slowly.
 
Note: Pardon me? Keeping the legs straight, bend to the side until the dumbbell touches the side of your shoe. Try it.
 
I know that many contend that sidebends, especially with a heavy weight, should be avoided. I disagree. This exercise has not only helped to harden my obliques, but also works the intercostals and serratus which I believe are strong points in my abdominal development.
 
 
Enjoy Your Lifting! 
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive