Sunday, April 9, 2023

Calves -- Spencer Churchill (1953)

 




It is high time that this fallacy regarding the difficulty of calf development was smashed. True, in every lineup of a physique contest calves are always outstandingly the major all round fault.

Now and again one comes across a physique with a good pair of calves, but these are nearly always a natural part of the physique and have not been worked for. I have not seen more than three bodybuilders develop their calves to a high standard who have had bad calves to start with.

Calf work is uninteresting compared to arm work or chest work. I think that is why 99 bodybuilders out of 100 do not do any calf work at all. Most of the boys do not seem to think that good calves are important -- I never seem to hear anyone wish for bigger and better calves, it's always arms or lats! 

There are certain parts of the physique that require more work and intense exercise than others. As you know, in order to build a muscle you must first break it down by exercise. Due to the fact that the calves are used a lot whilst walking, waltzing, and wondering how many more times that damnable rock'll roll down by sunset again. Will it be raining? What did Sisyphus bring for lunch usually? Hopefully something that gave him the fuel needed to do it. Did his grandfather tell him "how rough it was" back in the day? Why, when I rolled rock up that hill, son, we had to tie one arm behind our back and our livers were plucked out on Prometheus' off days." 

The reason most bodybuilders do not make any progress with their calf work is because they do not persevere with a routine. When you first start your calf work it is very painful as they burn like fury. But after half a dozen workouts they seem to settle down and pump up easily without giving that uncomfortable burning feeling.

Large calves, apart from naturally big calves, or an natural advantages such as attachments and bone leverages are the result of exercises that work the muscles over their complete range of contraction.

In my own calf workout I use as much variety as possible. My favorite is the "cowboy calf exercise" [donkey calf raise] which I will describe later -- this I learned from Reg Park three years ago and have used it ever sincem, although I prefer this movement to any other and change around to other exercises periodically.

Calves can be worked every other day if you feel that you are not overworking them. They should be worked at least three times a week.

Best time to work the calves is after the squat while the blood is in the legs. 

When you have finished your calf workout you will find they feel tight and a little sore. Keep the muscles supple by massaging them with the fingers until they grow relaxed.

I will now give you a list of my favorite calf exercises, or rather the ones that I have got most benefit from. 


1) The Cowboy Calf Exercise. 

This is my favorite -- also the one I have found most beneficial. Bend over and hold on to the end of a bench, have the heaviest man in the gym sit astride your lower back -- holding you round the waist for balance. 

Like riding a donkey? 

If possible use a block to put under your toes so you can get more complete extension and flexion of the muscles. Raise and lower the heels as much as possible, when they are at their highest point try raise them even higher. When they are at their lowest point try to force them even lower. 

Start off by doing 4 sets of about 30 reps, and work up to 6 x 40, over a period of a dozen workouts.


2) The Raise on Calf Machine. 

Most of you are familiar with this exercise, and practically every gym has one. When using the calf machine you should alter the position of the feet each set, turning the toes in or out. Thus all sections of the calf muscles are thoroughly worked.

On the calf machine I use all the weight I can handle, leaning back for one set, and forward for another. Sometimes when the reps are getting tough or when I am just knocking out the last 5 reps, I bend the knees and jerk the weight to the final position. 


3) Calf Raise with Barbell. 

I use this exercise when I have no access to a calf machine or a heavy partner. I load up a barbell, holding it across the shoulders as if I was going to squat. I then lean up against the wall with my body sloping down from the wall at a fairly steep angle. I use a block of wood to place my toes on. As I raise and lower my heels, the barbell plates roll up and down the wall and thus I am able to maintain balance and concentrate on the muscle groups. I used to do 6 sets of about 40 reps on this exercise. 


Usually, I perform 1 of these 3 exercises in a workout, doing 6 x 40. But at certain times I use all 3 exercises doing 2 sets of each. I have found this to be best for me; they really pumped up the muscle.   

Try these exercises and take the one you like best and work on it. 


Enjoy Your Lifting!  


























     













2 comments:

  1. What's this? A seldom-seen calf building article. Rare as hen's teeth! I do enjoy the retro British bodybuilding articles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, just out of curiosity are you related at all to Jack Dellinger?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive