Sunday, August 13, 2023

Bert Assirati's Views on Weight Training -- Charles A. Smith (1950)

 We're reading this interview couresty of 
Jarett Hulse
Thanks again, Friend!  

Aged 16.


Later, at a weight of 234.

More here:


Charles Smith and Bert Assirati were step-brothers. 


Bert Asssirati, a protege of George Hackenschmidt, Alan P. Mead and William Bankier


is a very modest person. 

There are hundreds of weight lifters in England, and quite a few score in the States, who have never heard of them from unimpeachable sources. Only on one occasion, prewar, did any article mention him and the lifts he had performed, and this at a time when he was using British and world records as exercising poundages

Though I, his foster brother, had trained with him on innumerable occasions, never did I recall him asking for either praise or publicity, yet these were to be had for the asking. 

He did not seek them, he does not do so now. 

[I have no clue anymore, honestly. Do people, the majority of people see this form of chosen behavior as naive or foolish now? I have no idea.]

It is why I, believing that we have much to learn from the example of this unique strong man, present his veiws on weight training and his observations with the hope that there are others who will be inspired by his feats of strength and his titanic measurements. 

Bert is the only man I have put the tape on with a genuine 19.25 inch upper arm. His lifts speak for themselves. 

[Here, Mr. Smith relates a list of Bert Assirati's lifts, already seen by readers in the two links above, with only those not previously listed here shown below. Remember too, that in those days not long ago, the rules on many lifts were somewhat (an understatement used for comedic purposes] stricter than what we see today in so many cases. ]

Squatting continuously for a half hour without stopping once (reps not counted): 235 lbs. 

One-legged squat: 200 lbs. 

[I am certain there were other "endurance" types of lifts that he could handle that aren't known publicly still. Assirati also engaged in this form of repetition-lifting. Ya gotta remember the guy was a grappler extraordinaire and had all the qualities required to ply his trade at the highest levels. He trained under Atholl Oakely, Britain's first Heavyweight All-In Wrestling Champion from 1930-35, and the methods were anything but easy and likely able to break the average mortal quickly.]

It was with great difficulty that I was able to persuade him to record his measurements and his feats of strength, or rather to allow me to publish details of them, for I had long, long ago kept a diary of his accomplishments. 

The following questions and answers were conducted by air (flying snail) mail after I had written to him continuously once a week, over a period of 18 months, trying to obtain his permission to write an article about him.

The replies to my questions were edited by me and are presented here with very little alteration, and with the conviction that as he has inspired me, so you too, with be inspired. 

Q: Would appreciate it if you will tell me what kind of weight training schedule or system you have followed. This strictly for the benefit of the readers, Bert, as I know how you have trained, but I want to get your own general ideas set down for the benefit of readers. 

A: I have never worked to a set schedule, Charlie, as you well know. I have always set up a schedule of exercises and worked on them for three to six months at a time, adding or subtracting to the schedule as the time passed. 

With the exception of the Deep Knee Bend, which was always included in my workouts, the schedule gradually changed form during the time I worked on it.

[like any other living thing]

That is to say that I might start a schedule with a certain number of exercises, and at the end of, say six months, only three or so of the original schedule remained. 

There are TWO VERY IMPORTANT POINTS, however. 

I always used the "GROUP" system and I have always worked with GREAT VIGOUR at any exercise I used. No advanced body builder can hope to maintain improvement in either strength or development or both unless he DOES use the group system. No exerciser can hope for improvement unless he works with works with vigour and CONCENTRATES. 

Take for instance the CURL. When using this exercise 

[Hang on a second here. This fellow was capable of a two arm STRICT curl with arms tied to his sides with 160, a strict curl of 180 without the lashings and sans drug addiction and glute scarring. If you've ever witnessed a lifter doing 175-200 or so in strict fashion, you'll realize that they're capable of the other lifts with equally impressive poundages. All this, "curls for the girls" and "poo poo, I don't do curls 'cause I'm such a big deal stuff is bullshit. Put down strict curling as an exercise? How's about waiting till you can handle just shy of 200 juice-free first? I must have related the story of seeing Doug Hepburn curl 175 like he was brushing his teeth carrying on a conversation with me about some gym gear he could build for a reasonable price? Kinda surreal, really. And again, I'm not talking about butt-pus monkies with more sharps in their weekly trash than a porcupine clan and hairpieces that'd make Medusa laugh.]

Take for instance the CURL. When using this exercise, I think all the time of the "muscle group" functioning, I think of my biceps getting bigger and stronger, and at times, so great has been my mental concentration that I have had to stop curling or pressing because my biceps, or triceps and deltoids have pained so much from the mental and physical effort. 

[Gosh, he musta read all that innovative stuff by Arnold what's-his-name.]

In short, Carlos, WORK HARD, nothing comes easy, least of all muscular development. 

Q: Now this may seem a silly question, Bert, but what exactly was YOUR OBJECTIVE IN EXERCISING. Exactly what did you have in mind, and what qualities did you strive for. 

A: My opinion as to what constitutes ideal qualities to be derived from weight training has never changed and never will. 

I BELIEVE THAT IT IS BEST TO TRAIN FOR STRENGTH COMBINED WITH GREAT ENDURANCE. 

Of what use is it to be able to press 250 or 280 or any other great poundage if you can't run a good mile or wrestle for an hour. I have always worked for a balanced physique, and I have always tried to become as skillful as possible in whatever form of exercise I undertook. 

I emphasize a balanced physique in this sense. It is of no use curling and pressing if you do not squat and deadlift. Work hard for ALL ROUND strength It is of no use having a strong building with a weak foundation. Strong shoulders and arms, yes, but strong everything else too. Strong legs and back, abdominals and obliques, strong neck and forearms -- no weak links in the chain.

Q: What is your favorite exercise? What exercises do you prefer when training for strength and development? 

A: I have no favorite exercise, but I do have favorite exercises. If by favorite exercise you mean one which I have practiced more than any other, then I can answer the Deep Knee Bend has always been in whatever schedule I have used. 

It is my opinion that the finest exercises for strength and development are the so-called "slow lifts." Lifts like the one arm press, both side presses, and military presses. Supine presses, two arm pullovers and lateral raise lying, one and two arm curls, deep knee bends, dead lifts, and neck bridging with a weight across the chest. BUT . . .  

In order to maintain suppleness, speed and agility I use wrestling, tumbling, cycling, and spring board diving. I have used snatching and cleaning and jerking, but only as warmup movements prior to my regular workout with the above. 

Q: In your previous reply you mentioned that you did other work in addition to weightlifting. I take it you mean as conditioning work rather than as special work to induce speed and agility. Also, would you say that your ideas have changed much since your early days? 

A: In my previous reply, I meant exactly what I said. You can not expect to retain speedy reflexes if you train on slow and concentrated exercises. At present I particularly like to go for a run, do a little road work, then swim in a lake or river. This conditioning work, if you can call it that, makes life seem brighter in every way. It makes your senses keener, and the automatic reaction from your feeling of well being is a smiling face and a natural laugh. 

EXERCISE SHOULD ALWAYS BE ENJOYED, NOT ENDURED. The moment your exercising ceases to be a pleasure and becomes a punishment, that very moment you should stop exercising, take a good TWO OR THREE MONTHS REST and try again. 

I would say that my ideas have changed a very great deal since the day I first started to train. When we are young, grow older, we get more sensible, get a more moderate and balanced viewpoint, more tolerant of the other fellow's opinions. 

As you know, when I was young, I was for a time extremely "biceps conscious," then I wanted to get a 25 inch neck and huge pectorals and biceps. Once I thought there was nothing like chest expanders and bar bending. Now I know better. 

As an example of what I am trying to convey, you will probable remember the job I got when I was 14, with Guido Ronga. All I had to do all day was file through iron bars. I started to concentrate so much on my pecs and triceps that their development in relation to the other muscular groups becsame grotesque and people began to think I was some kind of freak. This taught me a lesson that I have never forgotten -- to train for a balanced physique.

Q: Do you have anything further of interest to add to your above answers as a sort of general summing up . . . diet, study, training? 

A: I think I have given a pretty broad outline in my answers to your questions. However, with regard to further ideas on training, diet, and study, and by that I imagine you study of exercises and their effects on the body, I would say this: It is important to have a good knowledge of the muscles of the body. It is a lot better if you know how and why you benefit when you do certain exercises. 

With regard to diet, it is important that you get plenty of good food. Hard exercise must be accompanied by a generous and nourishing meal. I would again like to emphasize that nothing is so invigorating as the effects of fresh air and sunshine. Times out of mind I have spent a day in the country. I have swum, hand-balanced, sunbathed during the day and at eventide, when I came home, I would have a big meal, rest an hour or so, and then do a hard workout with my weights in the garden, and I always finished my workouts with a hard session of deep knee bends. If it is at all possible, train in the fresh air. It will work wonders for you. 

Q: As a final query, Bert, what would be your advice be to a beginner? 

A: I would tell him that he should first train under a competent instructor, and then by consistent and intelligent study of his reactions become, in due course, his own trainer and . . . WORK HARD! 


Enjoy Your Lifting!  

   




































4 comments:

  1. File the following under: "Nothing new under the sun", as well as, "genetics matter for hypertrophy":

    "....Squatting continuously for a half hour without stopping once (reps not counted): 235 lbs.... "

    Assirati was doing marathon squat sets with substantial poundage long before Tom Platz even had a quad to kick with in his mother's womb; but lest you, thou youthful and naive reader, thinkest that marathon squatting in like manner tis the quadratic equation which assuredly yields such Quadfather mass, take notice of Assirati's ample-yet-less-supernatural thigh mass...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw a picture of him doing a one arm handstand, and he looked huge at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-Po/Sd6Tjj-YzZI/AAAAAAAABEg/XoRIcH1yTdw/s1600-h/four.jpg

      Delete

Blog Archive