Monday, July 10, 2023

How Thomas Inch Trained for An Amazing Record (1929)

 
From this issue (Nov. 9, 1929) and
COURTESY OF JARETT HULSE. 
Thank You! 


Accomplished at the age of 48, this romantic weight-lifting record has the further distinction of being the first broadcasted by wireless. 

I cannot remember, writes Thomas Inch, any record performed by myself during a long athletic career which has aroused such interest as my latest two dumb-bells anyhow, Sandow style. 


Possibly this is because there is rather a romance and history attached to the lift. It was the deciding factor in the great match between the late Eugen Sandow and Hercules McCann many years ago when Sandow won his spurs, the record afterwards standing for 35 years. 

Then my age, 48 perhaps adds additional interest, for are we not told that strong men die young? At any rate the press has been very kind to me, and I believe it was not only the first world's record to be performed at the age of 48, but also it has the distinction of being the first weight-lifting record to be announced by the B.B.C. over the wireless.

All this has made me think that a short article giving my method of training for the lift would be appreciated, especially as the lift is becoming popular, and I hear of many lifters who have designs on Mr. Pullum's famous 244 lbs. lift, if not on my own.


TWO MONTHS' TRAINING

I only trained a little over two months for the record, having been out of training through an illness which pulled me down so much that I actually had difficulty with a paltry 130 lbs. right and 56 left. This seems unbelievable and was discouraging in one way, because I could not remember my lifting ability shrinking so low before. Therefore I conceived the idea of mapping out a schedule, a thing I had never bothered with before

I also decided on a special training method, after deciding what my weak points were, and knowing just what is required in the way of strength and stamina for the most difficult and arduous overhead lifter there is in the whole range. 

This included a daily walk with my two mastiffs early in the morning, followed by a cycle ride round Richmond Park at increasing speeds and with  increasing gears, so that my legs would benefit as much as possible when hill climbing. I shall always have pleasant recollections of these morning walks and rides when no one was about, before the work of the day commenced. I came across deer and squirrels; the world seemed wonderfully quiet and still at the time chosen by me for these "pipe-openers." 

After a good rub down, using plenty of my favorite, Elliman's embrocation . . . 

  

. . . I did further general exercises, going through a variety of movements, made up of self-resistance work and body bending (ground work) for abdominals and abdominal oblique, so that I could use plenty of leverage to get the heavy bell unto the body, stand the strain of leaning right back, and then, later on in the lift, rising erect without difficulty after pressing a heavy dumbbell. 

Note: Assistance work, determining what's used, what may be weak, what could be strengthened more, making the whole body strongly supportive of the lift being worked on. More later as well. Sound familiar?  


PLENTY OF MILITARY PRESSING 

Finding that my pushing power for the press itself was rather low, I included plenty of military pressing with a light dumb-bell, both right and left, and this I did each day in my bedroom, whether I practised heavy lifting or not. It not only was a great aid, but it enable me to estimate my increase in strength in a simple manner. 

I also used a special heavy expander for some movements which I do not believe are on any chart, but which aimed at development of (1) triceps and (2) latissimus dorsi -- both, of course, bent pressing muscles. 

At first I was troubled with muscular stiffness; I had run out of condition. This was easily fought down by self-massage with the embrocation referred to. Indeed, I do not think that without this special massage I could have got back to record-breaking form, and I invariablyu did a little of it both before and after heavy work. I enjoyed the massage thoroughly, and never felt the need for a professional masseur. 

I practiced heavy weight lifting twice each week, always keeping to my schedulem, and reaized that I could easily get ahead of it. That is, perhaps, a danger to be avoided, because when muscles are not properly tuned, one can easily have an accident or muscle tear. I remember after only a few weeks' preactice I called in at the Camberwell W.L. Club, where I met with a cordial reception at the hands of both principal instructor Knight and the members.  





A WARNING TO WEIGHT LIFTERS 

Feeling fit, I bent-pressed a dumb-bell weighing 230 lbs., with Mr. Pullum as the referee. At the commencement of the press, principally through wearing a very loose sweater [see mag cover above], my elbow slipped from off my side. I went on with the lift and it handicapped me severely right up to the eventful night. Here is a warning to weight-lifters never to exceed their schedule! 

I spent much time experimenting with different combinations of dumb-bells, as I have always realized that one of the secrets of a successful two dumb-bell anyhow record is to get the right and left hand bells "just right." 

On certain occasions I went right out for good left hand swings and jerks to tune up the left hand to bring up the small bell; on others I did good bent pressesm so that I should not fail with the big bell. I further made a practice of sometimes doing repetition work with the left hand bell, whilst holding aloft a heavy right hand dumb-bell. 


DIET

I gave some time and study to diet, but was not able to better the regime which has stood me in good stead for over 30 years. 






I used nothing but Hovis bread at mealtimes; this does not necessarily mean that I ate a lot of Hovis, because I find one does not need much Hovis as, say, white or even ordinary brown bread. 

On rising I ate one or two Hovis sandwiches, made by smearing buttered Hovis lightly with Bovril. I found that if I took my walk and cycle ride without these I turned tired and faint. 

On returning home I found a cup of hot Bovril wating for me, which I had before rubbing down and doing other exercises. It was remarkable how [You realize Inch was paid to promote Bovril by now, I am sure . . . yet another one of them "sound familiar, same old" deals!] this took away "that sinking feeling" and never once during my training did I go stale. I always took Bovril instead of soup; it replaced the old-fashioned warming up and was generally of great help. 

Note: Bovril's a pretty fine hot drink. Makes ya feel all comfy and warm inside. What liquor would go good with that stuff? Ah-Ha . . . from the Domestic Sluttery website: 

4 parts Bovril
2 parts Vodka
Lemon
Tabasco Sauce

Honestly, this stuff is better than steroids, eh. 

You can also just swap out Tomato Juice and use Bovril in your Bloody Mary, yer Bloody Caesaar if you're a Canuck. Not to be confused with a bloody seizure. Or an Orange Julius. 

After succeeding with the record lift at the first attempt i was naturally well pleased to hear Mr. Pullum say that, in his opinionm, I had a good chance with 300 lbs. I would like to be the first Englishman to lift 300 lbs. in 2 dumb-bellsm as I was the first to lift 300 lbs. with two hands and one in a barbell.

Mr. Pullum has offererd a handsome trophy, and it has been arranged t hat I do my training at his school, my own being closed down. More definite announcements will appear in "H. and S." and I hope many readers and leaguers will come along to see the training for themselves, also to be present when the attempt is made. 

I certainly do not think the last was seen of me on October 22nd, and I intend TO DEFY ANNO DOMININI AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. 


Enjoy Your Lifting!     






















11 comments:

  1. Great article (thanks Jarett and Mr. Give It a Name)! Slammin' graphics. It occurs to me that we do not know nearly enough about the people and events which comprised the strength/lifting scene here in North America from the early 20th Century, much less what was going on in Great Britain at the same time. We vaguely recognize the names of Bill Pullum, Tom Inch, Alan Meade and a couple other guys, but it is the vaguest of recognitions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "[You realize Inch was paid to promote Bovril by now, I am sure . . . yet another one of them "sound familiar, same old" deals!] this took away "that sinking feeling" and never once during my training did I go stale. I always took Bovril instead of soup; it replaced the old-fashioned warming up and was generally of great help.
    Note: Bovril's a pretty fine hot drink. Makes ya feel all comfy and warm inside. What liquor would go good with that stuff? Ah-Ha . . . from the Domestic Sluttery website:
    4 parts Bovril
    2 parts Vodka
    Lemon
    Tabasco Sauce
    Honestly, this stuff is better than steroids, eh.
    You can also just swap out Tomato Juice and use Bovril in your Bloody Mary, yer Bloody Caesaar if you're a Canuck. Not to be confused with a bloody seizure. Or an Orange Julius. "

    Forget all that Bovril, steroids, and Orange Julius crap! That's just marketeer gimmickery!

    I bought THE actual genuine boat paddle (the guy on ebay swore, indignantly "You don't believe I'd price it this expensive if I was lying about it being the real one, now, do you!!") that Bobby Hoffman used to stir the cocoa into his clinically-controlled batches of soy protein powder. Hi-Proteen powder. Proootein POW!der. Well, whatever he named it, The King Barbell Of York's own forehead sweat is still on that wooden handle. When I'm on-cycle, I just dose myself by hugging that paddle three times daily, and in only two weeks, pack thirty pounds of powerful, solid, he-man muscle that attracts every girl, her mother, and her grandmother within a three-mile radius of the beach. Stick that in your pre-workout super-mass-gainer drink, SandowBraggGirondaWeider!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of big time pro physique artistes who are paid to paddle skinny businessmen. On a happier note, I bought some of this Bovril stuff yesterday . . . turns out the memory of what it tastes like doesn't quite match what it actually tastes like!

      Delete
    2. Hepburn used a small boat motor to blend the flavoring into his protein powder. He had a little printing press, real old gestetner type of thing back then. I've spoken with two people who brought their writing to him and paid to get it printed on the cheap . . . when they picked it up it would have a film of powder, protein powder and flavoring that settled on the pages. So, paddling upstream against a sea of Proteen from the, poets and other writers hooked up with the Doug.

      Delete
    3. In lieu of Bovril, we, your culinarily-retarded colonial-rebel cousins in the US, have had to settle for mere bouillon cubes. No wonder most of our best TV programming are nicked from BBC shows.

      Vanilla or chocolate flavored, protein-glazed paper would well serve th' old directive, "In case of capture, eat the documents."

      I can't recall at the moment which came first, Bob's Protein From The Sea, which unwitting victims claim tasted worse than his days-old forehead sweat, or Doug's protein parchment...

      https://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog/2016/01/30/bob-hoffmans-protein-from-the-sea/

      Delete
    4. In Canada we have an AWFUL lot of CBC programming. For the love of God make it stop or at least find the mercy to kill me!

      Delete
  3. BoHo's Protein from the Sea was a MENACE to the sense of smell. Thankfully, it did not last long on the market. You didn't have to ingest it, just opening the lid on the can and getting a whiff prevented additional sales. One of those products that you only bought once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at some old ad copy for the stuff and man, hard to make it sound in any way appealing. Aside from its "health" and b-building "benefits" . . . somehow powdered fish and plankton just don't sell well.

      Delete
  4. While reading about Elliman's embrocation, I was amazed that he didn't bring up Bovril. As I went on, it seemed he won't mention it. Then, right at the end.. BOOM! He hits me with 3 Bovrils in 5 sentences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same old, same old sales hooey as now! He fires off three quick Bovrils like a boxer hitting with combinations . . . I'm on the ropes, dazed and desirous of strength and health . . . dopey now, I head for the grocer's . . . sixpence in my pocket and I really can't stop . . . coises, foiled again!

      Delete
    2. I like how in the other article he says Hovis bread company supports lifters so it's only fair that lifters support the company. That's good advertising!

      Delete

Blog Archive